Rangpur City Corporation
Rangpur is one of the oldest Municipality in Bangladesh, which was established in the year 1869. “Rangpur” declared as a District headquarter as on 16 December, 1769. The municipal office building was erected in the year of 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav Sen. Chairman of the municipality to whom Rangpur is indebted for many works of public efficacy and for his assiduous efforts to advance the upgrading of the town. During that period in 1890, “Shyama sundari khal” was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh. Rangpur is an ‘A-1’ category Municipality. It’s previous population was 3,20,000 [ 2,51,699 (2001 census)] covering an area of 50.66 sq km and the number of household is 55,184. It has 15 wards jacket with population solidity is 6317 and regular household size is 4.56. The present Area with extension area is 203.19 Sq.Km ,33 Ward and population is about 10 Lac. Rangpur Pourashava has turned into Rangpur City Corporation. According to Local Government (City Corporation) Law, 2009 Government has confirmed it as Rangpur City Corporation vide SRO No. 247-Law/2012 Date: 28-06-2012. A considerable number of important institutions are situated in and around Rangpur City Corporation.
Rangpur (Bengali: রংপুর) is one of the major cities in Bangladesh and Rangpur Division. Rangpur was declared a district headquarters on 16 December 1769, and established as a municipality in 1869, making it one of the oldest municipalities in Bangladesh. The municipal office building was erected in 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav, Sen. Chairman of the municipality. During the period of 1890, “Shyama sundari khal” was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh. A Recently established public university of Bangladesh named “Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur” is situated in the southern part of the city. Previously, Rangpur was the headquarters of Greater Rangpur district. Later the Greater Rangpur district was broken down into the Rangpur, Kurigram, Nilphamari, Lalmonirhat and Gaibandha districts. In the great Rangpur region, little economic development took place until the 90s, mainly because of the yearly flooding the region used to see before the making of the Teesta Barrage. Coal is found near this district. There is a large military cantonment in the town.
Rangpur was conquered by the army of Raja Man Singh, a commander of the Mughal emperor, Akbar, in 1575, but it was not until 1686 that it was fully integrated into the Mughal Empire. Names of places like Mughalbasa (literal meaning being a locality of the Mughals), and Mughalhat (literal meaning a “local market” organised by the Mughals) bear testimony to the Mughal Association and past of Rangpur and its hinterland. Later on, Rangpur passed under the control of “Sarker” of Ghoraghat. During the period of the British East India Company, the Sannyasi Rebellion took place. Rangapur Ghoraghat has been mentioned in the Riyaz-us-Salatin. During the early period of the company rule fakir-sannyasi resistance and peasant rebellion were held in Rangpur.
Rangpur town is the divisional headquarters. The soil composition is mainly alluvial soil (80%) of the Teesta River basin, and the remaining is barind soil. The temperature ranges from 32 degrees Celsius to 11 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm. Rangpur town, covering an area of around 28 square kilometres, lies on the bank of the Ghaghat river, and was turned into a municipality back in 1869. The population of the Rangpur municipality as of 2006 is 251,699, with 52% male and 48% female, and the literacy rate is 54.6%. Establishment of Rangpur City Corporation, as Divisional City is now under way after the establishment of Rangpur Division in January 2010.
Rangpur has a tropical wet and dry climate. The climate of Rangpur is generally marked with monsoons, high temperature, considerable humidity and heavy rainfall. The hot season commences early in April and continues till July. The maximum mean temperature observed is about 32 to 36 °C (90 to 97 °F) during the months of May, June July and August and the minimum temperature recorded in January is about 7 to 16 °C (45 to 61 °F). The highest rainfall is observed during the months of monsoon. The annual rainfall in the district is about 1,448 millimetres (57.0 in).
The city is the commercial hub for the surrounding districts. The city centre has number of government and private banks, insurance companies, residential hotels, Chinese and Indian restaurants, fast food, sweet shops, gift shop and many more. It is one of the most important economic zones in Bangladesh, because of its global positioning.
Places of interest
Tajhat Palace is located at Tajhat, the southern end of Rangpur city. It was the earlier high court building established in 1984 called the Tajhat, a former zamindar‘s palace. After the end of the British Raj, the building was abandoned and decayed rapidly, although it was used for a few years as a courthouse during the 1980s. In 2004, it was largely restored and turned into a museum which hosts a collection of Blackstone Hindu carvings, calligraphic art from the Mughal period and other objects d’art and coins from the area on display. Due to lack of funding, the museum is sometimes closed.
The place is situated three km on the south–east outskirts of the town of Rangpur. Probably this place was built by Maha Raja Kumar Gopal Lal Ray in the beginning of the 20th century from 1984 to 1991. The palace was used as a Rangpur high Court branch of the Bangladesh Supreme court in 1995. The palace was declared as a Protected monument by the department of archaeology. recognising its outstanding archaeological value the government of Bangladesh decided to shift the Rangpur museum here in 2002. Accordingly, the palace in being partly used as Rangpur museum since 2005.
Carmichael College is one of the old colleges in Bangladesh established in 1916. The main attraction of this college is its administrative building (which houses the Bangla department). It is a white two-storied building designed in the style of the buildings of Cambridge University of UK. It is also familiar with its huge campus and natural beauty.
There is an ancient auditorium named ‘Town Hall’ at the centre of the city, where different cultural programs are held.
Rangpur central zoo is one of the main amusement and recreation spot of Rangpur city. With an area of 20.27 acre of lush green trees and grasses, the Rangpur zoo is located east side of Hanuman-tola road beside police-line, not far from Rangpur district Administration office. The Zoo has 193 individual animals of 28 species. Many wild animals are available to attract the visitors. A few of them are The Bengal tiger, African lion, Black Panther, Rhinoceros, Leopard, Hippopotamus, Peacocks, Alligators, Turtles, Spotted Deer, different kinds of Birds, Snakes and so on.
The Rangpur zoo was built in the 1880s.
“Binodon Uddyan” is a massive park located in the middle of the city. A Shishu Park (children’s park), lake and a large restaurant are situated inside of this park. The mini Tajmahal also latest attraction.
Kellaband Mosque (Masjid)
Kellaband Mosque is situated at C.O. Bazar on the north of Rangpur-Dinajpur Highway 02 km north-west of Rangpur town. This three-dome mosque is about 200 years old. A concrete well and an ancient cemetery are lying beside the mosque.
Pirgacha Landlord House
The Manthana Kingdom Estate was established sometime around 1100 AD. Her Royal Highness Maharani Joy Durga Devi Chaudhurani of Rangpur was the most influential and famous ruler of the kingdom. After the death of His Royal Highness Rajah Rajendra Narayan Roy Choudhury, the Monthana Kingdom Estate was divided into two parts among his two sons Rajah Harendra Narayan Roy Choudhury and Rajah Bhairab Narayan Roy Choudhury of Rangpur. As a result, the landlord house also divided into two parts. After the death of HRH Rajah Harendra Narayan Roy Choudhury his son HRH Rajah Mahendra Narayan Roy Choudhury succeeded the kingdom. After his death HRH Rajah Bhupendra Narayan Roy Choudhury succeeded to the throne of the kingdom and was the last crowned king of this kingdom estate. His son HRH Prince Jyotirindra Narayan Roy Choudhury was born in 1947 and is the crown prince of the estate. Soon after the birth of HRH Jyotirindra Narayan Roy Choudhury, India and East Pakistan got independence from imperial British rule and the partition of Bengal took place. HRH Prince Jyotirindra Narayan Roy Choudhury of Rangpur now resides in Calcutta, India with his family. His son HRH Prince Rupendra Narayan Anirban Roy Choudhury of Rangpur who uses the name Anirban Roy Choudhury is the present Titular Crown Prince of the kingdom-estate. The Pirgaccha Landlord House popularly known as the Manthana Palace or Manthana Rajbari is a massive structure spread over hundreds of acres of land and houses ponds, lakes, buildings, temples, and various other assets. HRH Princess Kabita Rani Roy Choudhury is the present legal owner of the entire kingdom-estate. The Kachari House of the Manthana Palace is now used as Pirgasha Registrar Office.
Devi Caudhuranir Jamindar Bari
The Landlord-King of Pirgacha sub district HRH Rajah Narendro Narayan Roy Choudhury, son of HRH Rajah Raghabendra Narayan Roy Choudhury died in 1765 without any legacy. Then the wife of the late King, HRH Maharani Joy Durga Devi Chaudhurani of Rangpur managed the kingdom for three decades. HRH Maharani Joy Durga Devi Chaudhurani is popularly known as Devi Chaudhurani in history and was one of the most successful and popularly known rulers of the kingdom. During the time of Sanyasi Bidroho (ascetic revolution) for the independence of India, she along with Bhabani Pathak raged war against the British. In this insurgency Collector Richard Gudland and army commander Lieutenant Brenan, scared of the war situation, forfeited the kingdom from Devi Chaudhurani. However the imperial British could not keep the kingdom forfeited from the illustrious Maharani, and soon after she again came to manage the kingdom and she ruled until 1791. Later in history, the famous Bengali novelist, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, who also happened to be the Collector of Rangpur and under the employment of the British rule, wrote the famous novel Devi Chaudhurani to portray her as a dacoit-queen. The novel has been adapted into very famous movies with the 1974 movie starring Suchitra Sen in the lead. And National Award winning director Rituporno Ghosh is adapting the novel into another movie in recent times, in which Aishwarya Rai Bachchan will play the lead role of Devi Chaudhurani. However the novel has tarnished the characted and image of Her Royal Highness Maharani Joy Durga Devi Chaudhurani to a great extent. His Royal Highness Rajah Bhupendra Narayan Roy Choudhury of Rangpur was the last king of the kingdom-estate. An earthquake damaged much of the palace built by Devi Chaudhurani. However the palace was rebuilt several times and is a sprawling structure spread over several hundreds of acres. The property, land and the assets of the estate kingdom is presently legally owned by Her Royal Highness Princess Kabita Rani Roy Choudhury of Rangpur, who lives in Kolkata, India. Her son His Royal Highness Prince Rupendra Narayan Anirban Roy Choudhury of Rangpur who commonly uses the name Anirban Roy Choudhury is the present Titular Crown Prince of the estate-kingdom. HRH Prince Anirban Roy Choudhury is currently studying the law at Symbiosis Law School and lives in Pune, Mumbai, New Delhi and Kolkata.
Itakumari Jamindar Bari
Itakumari Landlord house was established in the 19th century. Shibchondro elder son of landlord Rajarai was the founder of Itakhula Landlord house. Now most of the building are ruined . Now a well two large pond and elderly building witness of time. point to be noted that leaders of the public rebellion Devi singha and his assistant Harram sen one time on a time get the owner by forcing. Again Shibchanda and Devi Chowdhurani lead the public rebellion and free the people of Rangpur from Devi singha’s torture.
Deowan Bari Jamindaar Bari
The Deowan Bari Jamindaar Bari was built by Fonivuson Mojumdar. Fonivuson Mijumdar was the son of Landlord Radharomon and mother Kusum Kumari Devi who was the second wife of Radharomon. He was born in 1892. This landlord house is a small 2 storied building. but the main gate of the house is like a Mughal Castle – gate. After ban of the Real estate tenancy practices in 1952 the house was auctioned. The property was purchased by one Nosor Ghatial who hailed from Kurigram. Now there is a school and some business centres. It is located at Deowan Bari road in Rangpur near the town.
Near the stadium, there is a very beautiful place called ‘Chicli vata’ surrounding by many lakes and rice fields.
There is a large military cantonment in the town. Apart from the Tajbari museum there is another museum at the heart of the town. The town is known as Green town for its beautiful garden and green park throughout the town.
Major educational institutes in the city including:
Medical & Dental Colleges:
- Rangpur Medical College
- Prime Medical College
- Rangpur Community Medical College
- Northern Private Medical College.
- Rangpur Army Medical College
- Kasir Uddin Memorial Medical College
- Rangpur Dental College
- Rangpur Polytechnic Institute
- Rangpur Technical Institute
- Begum Rokeya College
- Carmichael College
- Colectorate School and College
- Carmichael Collegiate School and College
- Rangpur Model College
- Police Lines School and College
- Rangpur Cadet College
- Cantonment Public School And College, Rangpur
- Rangpur Technical School And College
- Rangpur Government College
- RCCI Public School & College
- Lions School & College
- The Millennium Stars School & College
- Somaj Kolyan Women School & College
- Residential Model School and College
- Mahigong College
- Rangpur Public School & College
- Uttom College
- Rangpur City College
- Robertson Gonj Girls High School & College
- Siddik Memorial School & College
- Dhap Lalkuthi High School & College
- Cantonment Public School And College, Rangpur
- Rangpur Zilla School
- Rangpur Govt. Girls’ High School
- Govt. Commercial Institute
- Bir Uttam Shaheed Samad High School
- Rangpur High School
- Salma Girls High School
- Afanullah High School, Alamnagar
- Adasha High School, Babukha
- Shalbon Pauro Girls High School
- Tajhat High School
English Medium School:
- The Millennium Stars School & College
- Shahan International School
- Nalanda International School
- International Grammar School
- BIAM Laboratory School
Rangpur is well known for its healthcare facilities throughout the north-Bengal districts. There are hundreds of hospitals, private clinics, diagnostic centres situated all over the city. The Rangpur Medical College Hospital (RMCH), a tertiary level thousand bed facility public hospital with teaching facility in graduate and post graduate medical education. The campus of Rangpur Medical College is located in the northwest area of Rangpur. It is 210 kilometres from the Rajshahi District and 330 kilometres from Dhaka and is located next to the inter-country highway that connects India to Nepal. Prime Medical College hospital (750 beds), Doctor’s Community Hospital (500 beds), Northern Private Medical College Hospital, Christian missionary hospital are the well-known private institutes. Other government institutes include a children hospital, a chest hospital and an infectious disease hospital.
A 1000 bed-hospital known as Health City is under construction aiming to provide medical treatments and surgeries.
There are a number of locally published newspapers in the district. Locally published newspapers and periodicals include Online News Portal Rangpur Crime News (2005), Daily Rangpur Chitra (2009), Dabanal (1980), Rangaprovat (1987), Juger Alo (1992), Dainik Paribesh (1994),Daily Gonoalo(2012) Dainik Rangpur (1997), Weekly Atal (1991), Rangpur Barta (1996) and Weekly Bajrakantha (Pirganj). Former newspapers which are no longer published include Rangapur Bartabaha (1847), Rangapur Dik Prakash (1861), Rangapur Darpan (1907), Uttar Bangla (1960) and Pravati (1955).
Rangpur is well connected by highways to Chittagong and Dhaka, as well as other parts of Rangpur. It takes about 6 to 7 hours by road to reach the capital Dhaka by National Highway 5. Bus services to other major districts are also available from Rangpur. Highway links to India have been established through the Asian Highway 2.
The city of Rangpur is served by Saidpur Airport, located at the north of the city. Saidpur airport is a domestic airport.
Many Rangpur natives speak Rangpuri language. Rangpuri is an Indic language spoken by ten million Rajbongshi people in Bangladesh and five million in India, where they are known as Rajbanshi. Many are bilingual in either Bengali or Assamese. Rangpuri goes by numerous names. In Bangladesh, these include Rangpuri, Bahe Bangla, Anchalit Bangla, Kamta, Polia. The main dialects are Western Rajbanshi, Central Rajbanshi, Eastern Rajbanshi and Hill Rajbanshi (also known as Koch language).
The most popular sport in Rangpur is cricket, although football is also popular. There is a 10,000+ capacity stadium in the city. It is known as Rangpur Stadium. It is used for football and other sports. Besides different organisation share to stage a show there occasionally. There are another ground known as Cricket Garden and is mainly used for cricket. There are also a few sports training academies in the city. In domestic Twenty20 cricket, Rangpur has a Bangladesh Premier League franchise known as Rangpur Riders. On December 2012, I Sports bought the Rangpur franchise for $1.01 m. Notable players from Rangpur who have played for the national team include Nasir Hossain, Suhrawadi Shuvo.
- William Beveridge, British economist who wrote the Beveridge Report that influenced United Kingdom to implement welfare state policies after World War II.
- Begum Rokeya Shakhawat Hossain, who was most famous for her efforts on behalf of gender equality and other social issues.
- Mashiur Rahman Jadu Mia (Politician, Founding member of BNP and Senior Minister with the rank of a Prime Minister in 1979).
- Abu Sadat Mohammad Sayem, 6th President of Bangladesh, first chief justice of Bangladesh.
- Hussain Muhammad Ershad, former President of Bangladesh.
- Anisul Hoque, author, novelist, dramatist, and journalist.
- M. A. Wazed Miah reputed Bangladeshi nuclear scientist who was former Chairman of the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission. He is the husband of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wazed.
- Nasir Hossain, prominent Bangladeshi all-round cricketer.
- Rezwana Choudhury Bannya, a Rabindra Sangeet artist.
- Dr. Rashid Askari, Writer, columnist, academic and the current vice-chancellor of Islamic University, Bangladesh.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Vermont, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.